A small linux distribution for (wireless) firewall/routers.
It offers a rich set of services (firewall, IPSec, QoS, ppp/pppoe, DHCP, DNS, OpenSSH, httpd, hostap, ntp, cron, ...) and utilities (busybox, tcpdump, nmap, iptraf, ettercap, p0f, hping, darkstat, ntpclient, ...).
The complete list of third party software is available here.
I have been using this distribution on my home firewall for over a year now.
The distribution was originally developped for the Soekris net4501/net4521 (hence the name) but it is also being used on various full size PCs.
- builds entirely from source
- highly configurable: choice of packages, complete access to the filesystem
- small installed size, less than 8MB for most configurations
- all configuration done on build host, no write access on target machine
- documentation (well, some; better than nothing anyway :-)
It has been successfully built on Debian 3.0/3.1 (woody/sarge), RedHat 7.2, 8.0, 9 and Mandrake 8.0/9.0.
Trying it out
Building from source
Get the source (about 130KB), read the instructions provided within.
To summarize, you will need a Linux development machine with gcc, nasm, flex, bison, nasm, wget and sudo.
If you try this distribution, I'd like some feedback.
If you'd like to contribute, feel free to contact me,
Stéphane Billiart - 20041122